Work is currently being done on the eastern section of the Parc du Peuple de l’Herbe, along the Rue de la Reine Blanche.
The promenade, which will be interspersed with games and relaxation areas and a 230-space car park, is being built. The earthworks for the promenade were carried out between December and February. Topsoil was brought in from the end of February in preparation for planting the trees on the active strip (ash, oak, ornamental apple, willow trees, etc.). The trees were planted in March, while the shrubs will be planted next autumn.
At the same time, the eastern bank of the La Galiotte pond was cleared. It will soon be excavated to create a gently sloping bank suitable for planting wetland plants. Various types of natural wetland environments will be planted, suitable for dragonflies, amphibians, fish and birds that nest in reed marshes. This is the first stage of work on the ecological restoration of the two ponds.
Provisional schedule of work on the Parc du Peuple de l’Herbe, first phase 2014
– Earthworks: remove earth to create the subformation level of the active strip and the eastern bank of the La Galiotte pond
– Create networks: ERDF electricity mains and sewerage on the active strip
– Plant trees: on the active strip
– Lay surfaces: on the active strip and the future car park (asphalt, synthetic surface)
– Install the pontoon: on the eastern bank of the La Galiotte pond
– Plant aquatic plants: on the eastern bank of the La Galiotte pond
– Plant shrubs: on the active strip