LIFE+ is the EU’s funding instrument for the environment. It has a budget of €2.143 billion for the period 2007-2013.
LIFE+ has three components:
LIFE+ Nature & Biodiversity
LIFE+ Nature & Biodiversity co-finances best practice or demonstration projects that contribute to the implementation of the Birds and Habitats Directives and the Natura 2000 network. In addition, it co-finances innovative or demonstration projects that help achieve the objectives of the Commission Communication entitled “Halting the loss of biodiversity by 2010 – and beyond”. At least 50% of the LIFE+ budget for project co-financing is dedicated to LIFE+ Nature and Biodiversity projects.
LIFE+ Environment Policy & Governance
LIFE+ Environment Policy & Governance co-finances innovative or pilot projects that contribute to the implementation of European environmental policy and the development of innovative policy ideas, technologies, methods and instruments. It also helps monitor pressures on our environment (this includes the long-term monitoring of forests and environmental interactions).
LIFE+ Information & Communication
LIFE+ Information & Communication: this new component co-finances projects relating to communication and awareness-raising campaigns on environmental, nature protection or biodiversity conservation issues, as well as projects related to forest fire prevention (awareness raising, special training).
The SeineCityPark project is part of the LIFE+ Environment Policy & Governance component.
The legal basis for LIFE+ is:
- Regulation (EC) No 614/2007 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 May 2007 concerning the Financial Instrument for the Environment (LIFE+);
- Under the 6th Environmental Action Programme (EAP), the specific objectives of LIFE+ Environment Policy & Governance calls for proposals are as follows:
- to contribute to the development and demonstration of innovative policy approaches, technologies, methods and instruments;
- to contribute to consolidating the knowledge base for the development, assessment, monitoring and evaluation of environmental policy and legislation;
- to support the design and implementation of approaches to monitoring and assessment of the state of the environment and the factors, pressures and responses that impact on it;
- to facilitate the implementation of Community environmental policy, with particular emphasis on implementation at local and regional level.